Summer Fire Safety Refresher from the Mount Vernon Fire Department

As the weather gets warmer, and more time is spent around bonfires and burning the extra bush you spent all day clearing, it’s important that we all get to brush up on our fire safety knowledge. Ohio still has the burn ban in place, which is March through May and then again October through November. This ban prohibits any burning between the hours of 6 am and 6 pm. This is due to it being a particularly dry time of the year with windy conditions making wildfires more likely. Burning of “unclean” material is also prohibited, if you have excess yard waste, Knox County Yard Waste will come and pick up. Ohio Environmental Protection Agency has a list of what can and cannot be burn on their website. It is also grilling season, which can be just as much of a fire hazard as an open pit. Grills should be at least 10 feet from any building and if it is on a deck make sure to have a fire tarp laid out underneath. The propane gas released from grills can be deadly, so avoid grilling in garages and other enclosed areas. If the grill will not light, shut the propane off and let it air out then try again, letting the gas run can release toxins into the air that can be harmful if inhaled. Fireworks is another summer hobby widely enjoyed, but can be just as dangerous if not done properly. All fireworks should be 150 feet away from any buildings. Children and animals should also be closely supervised and adults should always be present while setting fireworks off. Fire safety should be closely followed while enjoying this summers outdoor activities, EPA offers other tips and guidelines to follow on their website at https://epa.ohio.gov/

Fire Safety on the inside is just as important as the outside. Residential building fire code says there should be smoke detectors in each bedroom, one each hallway, and one on each level, including the basement. Smoke detectors have a 10 year lifespan, to check look at the manufacture date and if it is older then 10 years, you can call and get a replacement by giving the serial number. The Mount Vernon fire department and the Red Cross foundation will assist with installation or battery issues within the home. They will also do a check to make sure the detectors are all placed correctly. It is also important to discuss a safety plan with your family incase of a house fire, you only have 3 minutes to safely make it out of the residents and once you are out you should not go back in. Having a fire route and meeting spot so all members of the family know where to go as quickly and safely as possible will allows firefighters to know if everyone is out and they can contain the fire as quickly as possible. Making sure to keep stairways and hallways clear also will assist in a safe route out. For more information and tips you can contact the Mount Vernon fire department by phone, email, or website.

Check Also

Area Agency on Aging Hosts Lunch and Learn to Promote Wellness Coach Volunteer Program

Ontario, OH– The Ohio District 5 Area Agency on Aging (AAA5) is excited to announce …